I think it has become apparent that I'm on the path towards addiction.
An addiction to sewing.
I never thought I would see this day, considering I've made fun of
women who sew since forever.
But with a couple projects under my belt I totally get it.
It feels kind of fabulous to see an idea take form from something
in my brain to something I can touch and feel and actually use.
Luckily I had a perfect muse for my first projects:
Lucio Alexander
(and his hot mama who is also my sister)
Photo from Bucheli Photograpy
As I posted before I used this project guide from The Purl Bee to make a tote bag. I decided to make a tote in a pattern that doesn't scream "BABY" but useful enough to hold diapers and the likes. In my opinion a mom just can't have enough small bags to stuff full of baby necessities for the day's outtings. The tutorial was so easy to follow. (Remember I just learned how to thread a bobbin so ANYONE can do this.)
I did learn how important it is to measure correctly rather than using the fabric's pattern as a guide. One side ended up 1/2" wider than the other...Next time.
And every new mom needs a big ol' stack of burp cloths. So I obliged with these super absorbent cleaning rags appliqued with animals. I cut them out of fabric that conveniently contained one animal within a square box. Sewing Jargon Alert: Applique means to apply as a decoration or ornament to a larger surface (Merriam-Webster). News to me!
And every new baby needs a stuffed Otis the Owl. I used this tutorial from Sew Simple. It was officially my first sewing project ever (since the boxers I made in Home Ec that ripped all the way up the crotch two months later). I used recycled wool sweaters that I scored at the Goodwill bins and felt. I put a little bell inside for added excitement. Lessons learned: when a pattern says "enlarge 100%" do it even if it involves a run to Kinko's. I tried to use the original size at first and I soon realized it would make an owl small enough to fit in Lucio's pocket. Also, if I do this again I will sew the face to the body rather than using fabric glue. It does not adhere to wool very well. hooting and shaking and kissing Lucio's owl.
I guess I'll have to make her one too.
We are so happy you're here.


3 comments:
Nice job on the three projects. They turned out great. You'll be a pro before you know it.
amber! you're awesome! waita be adventurous...remember how we used to talk about how we weren't talented? well i think you've found your niche!
so stinkin cute amber!
Post a Comment