Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Out of Context

Have you ever said something that just came out wrong?
I do it all the time.
However, I think I took my blabbering/nonsensicalness to an all new low.
The Pants, my mother-in-law and I were sitting on our couch and this is what I said:

"Oh, I got horny again today!"

Both the Pants and mother to the Pants looked at me like I was smoking crack.
Maybe I was, but here's the whole story:
As you know our last name is Horey.
I get many interpretations of my last name every day.
The first day at PSU my professor pronounced it "horsey."
I about fell out of my chair.
But the most often butchering of our name comes in the form of "Oray" or the tragic "horny."
You well know that at Safeway they like to torture themselves
by calling everyone by Mr./Mrs. So and so...
I usually avoid that debacle by the self check-out.
Apparently I was feeling brave on afore-mentioned day.
As I was picking up my bag, the cashier looked at the receipt and said "thanks for shopping with us Mrs. Horny...Uh...Oh..."
To which I replied, "It's O.K. it's Horey."
Her face turned bright red while the people behind me and in the next aisle laughed.
And that's the story.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Talk about falling out of your chair, I just about fell out of mine laughing. This is classic hilariousness at it's finest.

Meg said...

Amber that is so funny! thanks for the laugh!

Lauren said...

Thanks for the funny story. Even better that it was in front of your mother-in-law.

Anonymous said...

So funny! They do the same thing at Safeway here where I live! When I was single I had my dad's Safeway card and the clerks always called me Mrs. Yamada! Ewwwwww, I'm not married to my dad!!!!!!!!!