Saturday, April 11, 2009

Waffle Window, Shopping and Mac and Cheese...Oh my!

The Pants' birthday celebration was an all-day event.
Our day started off with breakfast with our lovely friends at the waffle window on Hawthorne.
Everyone must partake in the sugar waffle wonder that quite literally comes from a window (on the side of the Bread and Ink Cafe).
With a menu that features such delights as huckleberry jam and lemon panna cotta waffles, you can't go wrong.
We ate like fat kids. We shared three.
The 3 B's (bacon, brie and basil) was our favorite.
The staff even surprised us with a waffle adorned with a birthday candle to celebrate the day.

Then we were off to enjoy the sun and ambiance of Portland's Saturday Market.
We met the Mother of the Pants there and headed off to do some major shopping.
The Pants tries to convince himself that he doesn't like shopping (mostly for our budget's sake),
but every time he gets a taste of Nordstrom Rack the twinkle in his eye returns.
I always feel a twinge of guilt when I see him looking in the mirror with a head nod and a sly grin.
It's the "I know I'm ridiculously good looking" kind of grin.
And once I see it I realize how much he sacrifices to make sure our little family is taken care of.
Needless to say, he was starry-eyed by the end of this escapade.

Next, he was off to enjoy my birthday present--a deep tissue massage at Equilibria.
While he enjoyed a painful beating I slaved over a hot stove to make his favorite meal:
Homemade Mac and Cheese and buffalo drumsticks.
When it was over he walked through the door and melted into a puddle.
We ate like fat kids again and then went for dessert at the fanciest of places- Safeway.
What a day.

The Pants said it was his best birthday yet.
Pride washed over me. He totally deserved it.

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

I love that you admit to the pride washing over you factor. I must say I've had the same feeling on occasion. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that gets great pleasure in knowing I've done something extraordinary. Good job on a fabulous birthday.